Bed offset and a fix! – now prints 310mm circles

Recently I’ve been requested to make a ‘small’ thing for a friend ..I knocked up a very quick test thingy to see if I could

Link to Tinkercad file300mm

Turns out, I initially couldn’t!

 

Here’s the result …

D9 Bed off centre
Bed is completely off centre not allowing a 300mm circle to be printed

So, looks like it’s time to really check the mechanical limits setup on this thing, clearly something’s amiss if there’s that much free space to the left

Turns out, I’d installed the X axis bar a little too far over to the right – ensure it’s lined up with the motor mount, as shown below

img_6101

Also I moved the Y axis stop a little further back…….Now, lets see how things go

49161259_10157011215358385_1782064132489478144_o

Yeah, that’s not ideal…the inner circle is 300mm and shouldn’t be clipped at all. on the plus side I can now clearly see that my zero position is good – so the physical limit setup is fine……the circle should fit nicely now but it’s still being clipped – consistently short on Y and X….Maybe there’s something in the firmware?

Lets download the latest Firmware

https://github.com/garychen99/D9

 

Marlin stores most stuff about the printer setup in Configuration.h

#define X_MAX_POS 300
#define Y_MAX_POS 300
#define Z_MAX_POS 400

seems legit to me

Given that the physical size of the bed is closer to 325mm x 325mm, I changed this to

#define X_MAX_POS 320
#define Y_MAX_POS 320
#define Z_MAX_POS 400

which may cause some issues later, but it’s physically a 325mm x 325mm bed so provided the limits are setup properly, the machine shouldn’t smash itself up

Now, lets re-compile……There’s loads of instructions out there, our printer is basically an Arduino Mega with some fancy driver chips attached!

After a while, I finally get Platform.io to work, compile the source and give a nice firmware.hex file to upload

of course, it won’t upload

  • Ok, shut down Cura 3.4.1
  • Still won’t upload
  • Drat.
  • fire up pronterface, try to upload
  • won’t connect
  • shut down platform.io
  • download wanhao’s own Cura version
  • WOOOO….It uploads
  • Printer won’t boot
  • Drat

So, yep, by going with the newest, latest, greatest way of doing things, I’ve now bricked my printer.

Lets make it simple…….

A quick compile and upload using the Arduino IDE

arduinosetup

Woooo…it compiles, uploads, and more importantly………..

centered

that’s a 310mm circle printing perfectly on the wanhao D9…the outer 315mm is only slightly clipped!

Now to re-level the bed and re-calibrate the E-stops to make sure it’s spot on

 

Success!

Author: Bleugh

Early Fourties, Wife, two kids in primary school. Both of us work full time...5 years now we’ve been Back in Blighty after a decade away...It's a new country for everyone! Still finding time to tinker!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: