Amiga 500 Mini – conceptual

1/2 scale Amiga Keyboard – the keys might just fit!
Schematic with who knows how many errors 😛

Had a little play, using some SMT buttons i’m using in another project. These switches aren’t quite correct for this project – I need ‘square’ button-y bits and preferably ones with a small sticky-outy or inny bit that’ll let it capture a keycap straight.

Assuming the A500 Mini is 1/2 scale, like the C64Mini was then it’s looking good for keyboardification.

This keyboard is about 225mm x 56mm which is about 1/2 the size of the original membrane – I ‘think’ – based losely on numbers from here which says

Full sized Amiga is about 470mm wide by 325 deep.

Half that gives about 235 x 162. take a bit off the 235 for the case thickness bit – gives 225. then height is set roughly by the number of keys ‘down’ and eyeballing the various membranes i’ve found!

However – I don’t know the internal space availability of the A500 yet – so plan going forward for now is to prototype as a 2 part PCB.

One design part of the C64 Mini keyboard kit I never really liked is the standalone Arduino Pro Micro mounted on the rear due to being no space. Adding it to the main PCB was also out of the question as the separate components would have been at least double that of a ‘cheap’ arduino.

I’ll keep a 31 way (ish) connector on the main keyboard part, so it essentially acts like a traditional Amiga Keyboard. I’ll then have a ‘special’ RP2040 based PCB that converts the Amiga matrix into USB for the A500.

Amiga 500 Mini – Keyboardifying

Very early days yet – But, this is the first start for making the Commodore Amiga Mini working keyboard kit! About 1/2 way done on the matrix, then the peripheral components to go.

Then i’ll ditch it all and start over as the above is a bit of a mess ;-P

The New mini is coming from https://retrogames.biz/thea500-mini at some point in the next few months

I plan to use PRK Firmware now i’ve got it working with the C64Mini

and, Now RP2040 AKA Raspberry Pi Pico Chips are widely available, and ‘cheap’, I’ll be using one as the basis for the Mini

The BIG unknown right now is ‘switches’ – in the C64 Mini I was able to use 5.8mm ‘square’ switches – something like these – https://www.sunrom.com/p/push-onoff-switch-58mm

I’m currently working on a design assuming I can use the same again. There’s very few switches on the market with a ‘square’ style centre part that can capture keycaps. I have leads on a few others, but plan this time is to find surface mount versions and try to get a batch ‘mass produced’ – i.e. little to no soldering needed for you lot!

Early days yet, it’s been quite hard to ‘get back into the grove’ . here’s hoping I get this finished in 2022!

Anycubic Photon Mono-X 90 Degree dripper

Very early days yet on this design. A couple of hours of measuring and sketching in Fusion360. Needs some finessing, but the principle is sound.

Given 90% of my printed things are quite short, (keyboards, Mini computer case prototypes and miniature monsters) I can comfortably make a very efficient 90 Degree bed resin drip drainer and keep the cover on!

Most drainers are maybe 20-40 degrees or so!

The new Drainer bracket in Yellow – Sits permanently on the printer
And, the position of the bed when it’s rotated 90 Degrees. The Yellow bracket and the original ‘stick out bed holder’ clamp the bed sideways between then! The ‘curve’ bit stops the bed sliding too much to the right and ‘off’.

Heroquest Cards Holder

Got a little hooked on playing Fortnite This past few weeks! who’d have thought that Battle Royale would be fun to play! – just like the old days playing Multi player LAN Doom and Duke Nukem, except even better!

Have finally stopped procrastinating and becoming a little more creative. A friend in the Facebook group Heroquest Printed Knocked up a full set of Sjeng Heroquest cards for me. This goes well with the Hendar23 Book of quests and provides many more extra cards to make the game a little more interesting!

Complete Box