A500 II part 5 – first Keycaps printed…But…

I hate them!….

Well, on-screen they looked great but, in the hands, they don’t quite work so well…

so, partly back to the drawing board

The ‘user friendly’ mods I did to the tops just don’t look right, the keys just look too blocky. So, in CAD i’ve now gone the opposite way and made them slightly smaller (than a genuine amiga scaled down to the same amount) and on-screen, they now look perfect!, i.e. like a REAL amiga keyboard!

I’ve a creative decision to make regarding the font size and depth though – Likley i’ll end up with a much larger than stock font so to keep legibility

Ignore the colour, it’s some left over custom pigmented “Heroquest Orc Green” I knocked up a few months back. Actual colour matching will come a bit later down the line, I’ve ordered a few bottles of resin just to experiemnt and get the colour mix correct!.

Fits perfectly, but just too ‘cube like’ on the keycaps – great for text size, but just doesn’t look the part
Text came out better than expected! still not as good as i’d like on the caps lock for example though

Author: Bleugh

Early Fourties, Wife, two kids in primary school. Both of us work full time...5 years now we’ve been Back in Blighty after a decade away...It's a new country for everyone! Still finding time to tinker!

4 thoughts on “A500 II part 5 – first Keycaps printed…But…”

  1. Very exciting! I’ll be in line to order once you get it all worked out! Amazing work so far!

    Is converting the included keys like with the C64mini not possible? I think I recall that eventually it was decided that was better than printing new key caps?

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks for the nice comments 🙂

      I think it’s not possible to use the A500 keycaps, they’re too small. BUT, they’re much easier to design in CAD than the C64 ones were. And I’ve learned a lot since then, so unlikely there’ll be any angle grinding

      Like

      1. HI,
        To be clear

        It is very difficult to cut up the factory A500 Mini Keyboard, I think the keycaps are simply too small to be able to cut them out and put them onto switches.
        The C64Mini *just* about worked as the switches fit inside the caps and had a long stem to add glue to

        the keyboard I am making will be a soldered plug in replacement.
        It will only need between 4 and 0 joins to solder ,
        I’m hoping, and experimenting to make it entirely solderless – But, if I can not – it will be a very easy 4 hole soldering kit!

        Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: