C64 mini keybaord – successful builder!!

A quick post to point you to a YouTube link

The user’s gone into some detail about potential gotchas when doing the build

Thankyou for posting such an informative video and can’t wait to see it running in the mini 🙂

Author: Bleugh

Early Fourties, Wife, two kids in primary school. Both of us work full time...3 years now Back in Blighty after a decade away...It's a new country for everyone! Still finding time to tinker!

7 thoughts on “C64 mini keybaord – successful builder!!”

  1. Builder here! So the keyboard came out of the mould with all of the keys perfectly aligned! However, the epoxy does not bond well with the top of the switch so the keys come of very easily. The space bar went within a minute, another key also came off fairly soon. Not sure how to proceed from here. I guess one could fill the keys far more such that it envelops all of the protruding switch stem (when fully pressed in).

    Any suggestions? I don’t think these keys are ruined because I could just remove them all, put another/more glue on the area where the switch stem sat, and hope for the best, but I wonder if that is the best strategy.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. What brand of epoxy?
      May be that there’s some brands that are ok and some not?

      I used the absolute cheapest 2 part I could find – welded like a rock

      Whereas the bostik hard plastics glue didn’t work so well and does what you say.

      Maybe rough the tops of the keys up and a spot of superglue?

      Also check the amount of glue, I found on my second attempt that some keys needed a little more, it may be that putting another mm in each keycap and re-gluing does the job, especially if the glue can get over the tiny lip on the switch head?

      Like

      1. The epoxy I used is a slow setting but also very thick and sticky epoxy. The good thing is it hards out to a supportive base. I tried a quick setting less viscous epoxy on top of it and that seems to hold up well. So I’ve ordered a larger bottle set of a similar epoxy that gives you 40-60 minutes setting time so I can do all of the keys in one run and that should hopefully sort that out.

        Liked by 1 person

    1. I did try that quite early on. and , it may still be a possible way to go for the future. The issue is that there’s a few angles to take into account on the underside, so, at best case there would be FIVE types of inserts to print so that the keys are all the correct angle – only the second row – CTRL, QWERTY has a ‘top’ of the keycap that’s almost parallel with the PCB. The others all slope up / down.

      When I did the original ‘inserts’ design, I found that they pulled the switches in the wrong way and made it tricky to get the keys to set in the mould properly.

      Even adjusting the angles a little seems to still upset the keys in the mould.

      Saying that, if I ever get the 3D printed ones sorted, they’ll likley be a 2 part solution, as you’ve suggested – a ‘clip’ on to the switch part, and a larger actual keycap part.

      I’ve finally gotten a Resin 3D printer, it’s now a case of finding time to learn how to use it, then tweak the CAD

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Hi There, I have plenty available still 🙂 just been quite busy at work so haven’t been ‘pimping’ them as much as I was!. Flick me an email to keyboards A T Bleugh.biz to chat. They’re £30 each plus post, which varies from £3.50 UK to £6.50 USA!
      and I can do paypal to paypalUK at Bleugh DOT co DOT uk

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s