C64 mini keyboard kit – keycap butchery success!

Have been promising a long time to do this, so finally took a few hours to butcher another mini!

Some views are excellent
Another great view
And the worst view

As you can see, for the most part, it’s pretty good, but NOT perfect

what I’ve discovered…..

2 part epoxy works best

Each keycap row is a different depth – the top one needs the least glue, row 3 the most

My errors here. I used a hard plastic glue from Bostick. it doesn’t grip well enough on the top of the keyswitches. I glued everything, waited a few hours, half the keycaps didn’t stick

glued the rest, waited, half again didnt’ stick…rinse and repeat about 6 times, adding more glue till finally they all stuck.

The 2 part epoxy stuck fast and hard! – but I used too much.

The repeated adding of more glue caused the multiple key levels you can see in the picture

I’ll try one more time I think!

Author: Bleugh

Early Fourties, Wife, two kids in primary school. Both of us work full time...3 years now Back in Blighty after a decade away...It's a new country for everyone! Still finding time to tinker!

6 thoughts on “C64 mini keyboard kit – keycap butchery success!”

    1. Waiting on the resin printer to arrive 🙂 ETA is November so I’m hoping to have it all ironed out in the new year 🙂
      CAD is pretty much done so it’s just print, iterate and print again till they’re perfect…4 or 5 months away I think

      Liked by 1 person

    1. I tried, it didn’t work!
      The inner parts of the keycaps are different and slopes differently within the rows also.

      If it were as easy as making 5 types of insert for the 5 rows, I’d have gone further, but an insert designed for the far left of row 1 puts the far right of row 1 at the wrong height and angle!

      I got too annoyed to go further.

      Have found since that ensuring the keycaps are well stucksioned in the mould and using slow set epoxy works best.

      The keys switches all sit in at the correct angles and the correct levels with no intervention needed!

      My third attempt will be perfect!!

      Liked by 1 person

  1. I butcheried the keys and glueing them in place yesterday, I also used a slow-setting 2-component epoxy (JB Weld steel reinforced epoxy for the US viewers). They’ve been setting for 16 hours and I just pulled it out of the mould. Looks pretty much perfect! Keys feel a bit wobbly but it needs to cure some more, perhaps that will fix it.

    Video of the process so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkavXXu0LhU

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thankyou for posting the video 🙂 very informative!
      Hope it works for you at the end of it all!
      My second attempt was ‘ok’ but I’ll have it perfect by the third I recon!

      3D printed keycaps will be at some point in the first 1/4 of next year hopefully! Printer will
      Be arriving soon!!

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s