It’s been a busy personal and work life for the past few weeks so it’s been difficult to ‘tinker’……….I have however made something new!…………..
I’ll be posting these up on Thingiverse in the coming week or so once final tweaks are done.
I’ve designed some new brackets for the Wanhao D9 X Axis. Along the way, i’m improving my Fusion360 skills and further completing my quest to design all my own upgrades for the printer
These two brackets not only improve the printer’s aesthetics (your opinion may vary!), they both provide performance improvements
- X axis Belt tensioning – Via M3 screws pushing into the 4 holes highlighted below. When screwed in, they push against the 20×20 extrusion, ‘pulling’ the block away and tightening the belt.
- Stiffens the RIGHT hand idler mount – the standard plastic bracket mounting underneath the 20×20 extrusion isn’t enough, it makes the idler lean to one side. This bracket supports from the TOP and the BOTTOM. If you only end up printing one of the brackets – print THIS one
- Stiffens the LEFT hand side stepper motor mount – the standard plastic one flexes a tiny amount when printing – not badly admittedly but this bracket is much stronger
- Corrects the Belt geometry – the factory standard setup has the centre of the stepper motor not properly aligned with the center of the idler on the right hand side. as a result, the belt ends up further away from the carriage on one side than the other. The stock brackets are only a few millimeters out, but every small part helps!
- You can see from the orange dotted line that the centers of the stepper and idler are now in line AND equally distant from the purple line above representing the 20×20 extrusion
- 5 – Assists with levelling the X axis gantry. There’s now two tabs, one on each side, the underside of each is at exactly the same height. Now you can simply level your printer by jamming something between the bracket and lowering the gantry.. repeat on the other side and you’re level!
- Moves the belt level up slightly so that it’s centered on the middle of the 20×20 extrusion
- Adds another BLEUGH branded item to your printer 🙂
Two slight issues that’ll delay progress – I’ve run out of purple PLA to print these with (will cyan do?)
And, my Slicing PC has just packed up whilst trying to do a rather large lithopane lampshade!
Tune in next time………..